Identity is important because it governs the way we think, act and interact with others.
We are "in Christ." It is both a status and relationship.
When we are in Christ what is true about Him is now what is true about me.
1. You are a new creation.
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NIV) 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 (TLB) 17 When someone becomes a Christian, he becomes a brand new person inside. He is not the same anymore. A new life has begun!
This is a process, not just an event.
Stay connected to Jesus, and you will grow into all that is true of you in Christ. You will steadily become a new person.
So what is new about us?
A new Lord
- 2 Corinthians 5:14–15 (NLT) Either way, Christ's love controls us. Since we believe that Christ died for all, we also believe that we have all died to our old life. 15 He died for everyone so that those who receive his new life will no longer live for themselves. Instead, they will live for Christ, who died and was raised for them.
What do you do when someone loves you enough to die so you can live?
Would you not want to live a life that would be worthy of the sacrifice they made?
A new relationship with God
Luke 22:20, 1 Cor. 11:25, 2 Cor. 3:6
A covenant is an agreement between two parties based on mutual promises. Jesus brought a new covenant—a new relationship with God.
This new relationship with God is based on what Jesus did for us.
A new power
It is the Holy Spirit—the very presence and power of God within you.
- Romans 7:6 (NLT) Now we can serve God, not in the old way of obeying the letter of the law, but in the new way of living in the Spirit.
A new life
Romans 6:4, Acts 5:20
- Romans 6:4 (NLT) For we died and were buried with Christ by baptism. And just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious power of the Father, now we also may live new lives.
This is the symbolism of baptism.
Your old life died with Jesus. The old you is buried with Christ! When we raise you out of the water: a brand new you is raised with Christ to live a new life.
It's an eternal life.
You have a new life, radically different from your old life.
A new start
1 Peter 1:3, John 3:3, 7
My life with Jesus is so radically new and different from my life before that Jesus described it as being born again.
- 1 Peter 1:3 (NLT) All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. It is by his great mercy that we have been born again, because God raised Jesus Christ from the dead.
A new family
Ephesians 1:4-6, 2:15
Christianity is a team sport. No one goes it alone.
- Ephesians 1:4–5 (NLT) Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes. 5 God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure.
A new mind
Romans 12:2, Ephesians 4:23
When you begin following Jesus, you get a new mind.
Your thinking starts changing.
You have different values and a different perspective on things.
You think differently.
- Romans 12:2 (NLT) Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think.
A new hope
1 Peter 1:3, 2 Peter 3:13, Revelation 21:5
- 1 Peter 1:3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
The best is yet to come! We have a new hope.
- 2 Corinthians 4:16 (NIV) Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.
This is a process and not just a one-time experience.
You are a new creation…that's being made new day by day.
And there's something you can do to participate in the process.
2. You put on the new self.
- Ephesians 4:22–24 (NIV) You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
Jesus has bought you, ransomed you from evil, and given you back to God. You are a new creation. Put off the old and put on the new.